Space Planner & Architectural Designer
Rowan University is a comprehensive state-designated research institution with approximately 19,000 students. Its main campus is located in Glassboro, N.J., 20-miles southeast of Philadelphia, and it has a branch campus and medical school in Camden and a second medical school in nearby Stratford. Rowan is one of two universities in the country to offer M.D. and D.O. medical-degree programs. The School of Osteopathic Medicine has a faculty practice plan that serves approximately 200,000 patients throughout Southern New Jersey. The institution is also home to the South Jersey Technology Park, which fosters the translation of applied research into commercial products and processes. The University boasts seven colleges–William G. Rohrer College of Business, Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering and colleges of Communications and Creative Arts, Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, Performing Arts, and Science and Mathematics. Rowan has been recognized as one of the Top 100 public universities in the nation and is ranked 3rd among public institutions in the North by US News & World Report.
The Division of Facilities, Planning and Operations at Rowan University is a growing enterprise. The Division’s mission is to create and sustain a vibrant, safe, supportive environment at Rowan’s campuses. The Division is dedicated to providing leadership in facilities development and management, campus planning and business operations. This Division is led by the Senior Vice President of Facilities Planning and Operations.
The Department of Planning and Real Estate is a part of the Division of Facilities, Planning and Operations. Its mission is to plan and promote a safe, sustainable, healthy and visually appealing campus environment and aesthetic.
Through collaboration and partnership with the rest of the Division of Facilities, Planning and Operations and campus community, this Department leads master planning and design processes for campus development, interior renovations, adaptive reuse and open space initiatives. It is also responsible for space planning and the management of related data for the University This is a professional position and reports to the Department Assistant Vice President and University Architect.
The successful candidate will primarily be responsible for the advancement and implementation of a long-range space plan, the compilation and facilitation of space requests and assignments, management of the campus space inventory and database, oversight of relocations and moves associated with space assignments and projects, the preparation of space reports, and the establishment and application of space standards, guidelines and policies. Creative problem solving, leadership, strategic thinking, and a strong client service focus are essential qualities for success in this position.
*Minimum Qualifications: *
- Bachelor’s degree in Interior Design, Architecture, Planning or a related field professional experience
*Preferred Qualifications: *
- Masters Degree in Interior Design, Architecture, Planning or a related field
- 5 years of experience in space planning, programming, architectural design, project administration or other related field in an educational campus or equivalent institutional setting.
Knowledge and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles and practice of architecture at a campus scale and the capacity to integrate multidisciplinary thinking in planning and design in an institutional setting.
- Demonstrated experience performing facilities space management or planning work in campus-based institutions (university, medical, industrial, etc.) with a strong preference for experience working in a higher education institution of similar size and complexity.
- Proficiency in the creation of photo-realistic renderings using Adobe Creative Suite, AutoCAD, Sketch Up and Microsoft Office.
- communicate ideas through appropriate graphics.
- organize and coordinate the work of others.
- set priorities and assign work to others
- communicate effectively with others.
- Familiarity with building/life safety codes and disability accessibility requirements.
- Collaborate and work effectively on teams.
- Strategic thinking and the ability to create innovative solutions
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral, the ability to negotiate, resolve conflicts and build consensus, and the aptitude to maintain professional and respectful communication during difficult conversations
- Good judgement and the ability to maintain confidentiality
- Self-motivated with the skills to organize and prioritize responsibilities and tasks to achieve goals and objectives
- Proficiency reading floor plans and architectural blueprints
- Interest, experience, and/or ability to promote cultural competency and/or diversity
- Rowan University values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
- All positions are contingent upon budget appropriations.
- Job ID: 55716238
Glassboro, New Jersey, United States
- Position Title: Space Planner & Architectural Designer
- Company Name: Rowan University
- Industry: Education / Teaching / Administration
- Job Function: Planning
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Job Duration: Indefinite
- Min Education: BA/BS/Undergraduate
- Min Experience: 5-7 Years
- Required Travel: 10-25%