Diversity Advancement Scholarship
From Architects Foundation:
This architecture scholarship can change your life!
Maybe you chose architecture because you want to design a better world. Or you can’t imagine doing anything else. One thing’s for certain: You love this work. And we’d love to help fund your college experience with a multiyear scholarship, up to $20,000.
We created the Diversity Advancement Scholarship to help more minority students pursue a successful career in architecture. Multiple scholarships are available.
We’re looking for minority students whose imagination and design thinking will influence the future of the built environment and the architecture profession. Eligible students must be a US citizen, have a minimum 3.0 GPA, and be:
- a high school student planning to enroll in a NAAB-accredited architecture degree program; OR
- a rising second-year college student in a NAAB-accredited architecture degree program; OR
- a technical school or community college student who has completed high school or its equivalent and intends to transfer to a NAAB-accredited architecture program.
NAAB-accredited degree programs may be a five-year Bachelor of Architecture degree, or a four-year pre-professional bachelor degree followed by a Master of Architecture degree. Scholarships may be renewed for up to 5 years (up to a $20,000 total award—multiple scholarships are available).
The Diversity Advancement Scholarship was created in 1970 with an initial grant from the Ford Foundation, after civil rights leader Whitney Young Jr. challenged architects in 1968 to create a more responsible and equitable field. Read the program report here.
Applications for the 2021-2022 academic year are now open through January 15, 2021.
Applicants must submit:
- A comprehensive essay that tells us your story and how your journey relates to your interest in architecture (1,200 words)
- A professional resume
- Two letters of recommendation
- A portfolio (3-5 creative works, do not have to be architecture-specific)
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
2021 Selection Committee
More information about the selection committee will be released in January 2021. Please address letters of reference to the “2021 Selection Committee.”