WRNS Summer Internship Opportunity
Our 2023 Summer Internship will be in – person, primarily in our San Francisco office with some openings in our Seattle and New York offices, unless CDC, state, or local guidelines require otherwise due to COVID-19. In the event that our internship program needs to shift to remote working, we will be operating during Pacific Standard Time and we ask that your work schedule is compatible with the hours the majority of the studio will be working. Please be prepared to use your personal computer to remote connect to our servers if needed and we also ask that you have a stable and reliable internet connection: this will enable WRNS Studio to provide the other necessary software and resources for your work under remote circumstances. Please continue reading to learn more about our studio and internship program for summer 2023.
WRNS Studio is called “studio” for a reason: through open, in-house critiques and roving tutors, we engage in an ongoing critical discussion about how the firm’s buildings can most powerfully evoke place, while avoiding the trivializing effects of mimicry. The result is two-fold: a vigorous culture of education, linking the academy and practice; and a distinguished portfolio of buildings spanning a broad range of programmatic type, fundamentally rooted in mission, place, time, culture and human aspiration.
We believe in challenging, teaching, researching and growing in all aspects of our work. We are seeking interns who are curious, engaged and proactive (and will even teach us a thing or two). It is our belief that the best education WRNS Studio can offer you is to treat you as a young professional — a staff member — so that you can learn about the integrated process of design and construction through real projects, in real time. We will assign work based on your skillset and specific project needs, as we would with any staff member, and we will do our best to accommodate any specific goals you have for your time with us.
To ensure a truly rich, diverse experience, our internships include educational activities that will support the work you do in the studio. These activities will broaden your exposure to many aspects of the profession and arm you with skills you will need throughout your professional career as an architect:
- Research Presentation — Over the course of your internship, you will be required to conduct research on a topic themed around a particular issue chosen by the office. At the end of your internship, you will give a short presentation to the studio sharing your findings. This will mirror similar presentations given by staff at our many culture events (SkillSHARE, Scholarship Presentations, WRNS U and more).
- Bi-monthly All-Staff Presentations — Presentations by staff on past and current projects to keep everyone up to date with the work being produced in the studio.
- Roundtable Discussions — We will put together roundtables of experts from within our office on specific topics from our design and construction experience. Please bring questions!
- Internship Recap and Assessment — At the completion of your internship you will meet with a staff advocate and the internship group to provide an opportunity for you to share our experience and benefit from a candid conversation of our experience with you.
Internship Time Line
- Application Deadline: Friday, February 3rd, 2023; No late submissions will be accepted/reviewed.
- Interviews: March 20th through March 31st
- Final Decisions: Monday, April 3rd, 2023
- Internship Dates: If selected, your internship start and end dates can be negotiated. Typically, internships occur between the months of May and September.
Please fill out the Application Form: Click here to apply It is critical that all applicants follow these submission requirements, as WRNS will not review incorrect applications. Single PDF Only. 10MB limit. Order your PDF as follows: Cover Letter, Resume, Portfolio. File naming convention: LastName_FirstName_2023Portfolio
We can’t wait to hear from you!