Information for International Students
(This has been taken from the University’s information page for international students http://resources.academyart.edu/top-5/20200330/international-student-info.html )
Dear International Students,
The University wants you to be aware of information concerning international students in the USA or those planning to travel to their home country. We have included the below FAQs that were sent to the international students last week. If you have questions please contact Tricia Turney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Can I complete the semester online from outside the United States?
- Yes, you can take your classes from outside the US. If available we recommend changing your onsite class to the online section. Please contact your advisor for further information.
- We ask anyone who is departing the US to submit the LOA Request Form https://my.academyart.edu/aau-forms/international-admissions/leave-of-absence-request-form as we are required to continue reporting to SEVP/DHS.
- Will you terminate my I-20, if I am outside the United States?
- If you remain full-time enrolled, your SEVIS record will remain active and your I-20 will be valid for re-entry to the US for the Summer or Fall 2020 semester.
- If you drop classes, your SEVIS record will be terminated for “authorized early withdrawal” and your I-20 will not be valid for re-entry to the US. In this case, please review our Return To AAU Information https://my.academyart.edu/content/dam/assets/pdf/int-stud/return-to-aau-information-sheet.pdf
- How can I get my I-20 signed?
- Stop by 79 NM with your I-20 and you will get a signature in the lobby. Alternatively, you can send us your mailing address and we will mail you a reprinted I-20 with a valid travel signature via regular mail. Be sure to register for the Summer or Fall semester before requesting an I-20 travel signature.
- Should I travel outside, if I plan to apply for OPT?
- We recommend not to travel, if you are graduating in the Spring or Summer 2020 semester. We do not know how this situation develops and there may be a chance that you will not be able to re-enter the US.
- Will I qualify for a housing/class refund?
- Will I qualify for a refund of my health insurance fee?
- No. According to Aetna, students will only qualify for a refund within 31 days of semester begin.
- What documents should I carry when re-entering the US?
- You will need a valid I-20 with a valid travel signature on the 2. page that is not older than 12 months, valid passport (must be valid for 6 months into the future upon re-entry to the US), valid F1 visa.
- Please be aware that most US consulates/embassies are closed or have limited operations. If you do need to apply for a new F1 visa, please strongly consider remaining in the US as we do not know when they will resume normal operations.