Christopher Pizzi is a licensed architect in California with nearly 20 years of professional experience in architecture, urban design and master planning. Christopher’s work experience – in New York, London, and San Francisco – has included a broad range of project types, from high-density residential buildings and schools to resort and campus planning, for public, private and institutional clients. Christopher’s recent work addresses sustainable urbanism and smart growth through mixed-use, transit-oriented, urban infill development. His work has included a range of and regularly involves an intense public consultation process. He participated in the Mississippi Renewal Forum, a commission organized by Governor Haley Barbour that studied rebuilding and renewal concepts for the Gulf Coast following Hurricane Katrina.
Christopher received his Master of Architecture degree from Yale University, where he received the William Edward Parsons Memorial Medal for Distinction in City Planning and the inaugural David M. Schwarz Traveling Fellowship. He earned his Bachelor of Architecture from Syracuse University, where he received the James Britton Memorial Award for Best Thesis and the A.I.A. Henry Adams Award.
Current projects at Hart Howerton include the redevelopment of the Emeryville Public Market, a new residential neighborhood on Yerba Buena Island, and multi-family residential buildings in California, Hawaii and Florida. Christopher is a Subject Matter Expert for the California Architects Board and an Instructor at Academy of Art University. Christopher’s design research focuses on residential urbanism, the history of housing, and the performance metrics of urban blocks. He has exhibited his work in New York, New England and California, and his design work and writings have been published in books and journals including The American Scholar, The Architects’ Journal, Retrospecta, The Architect’s Newspaper, and Architectural Record. Christopher has been a guest juror at architecture schools in the Bay Area and in the Northeast.
- The Bristol Multi-family Residential Building at Yerba Buena Island, San Francisco, California, with Hart Howerton Architects and Planners, 2017-2020. Under construction.
- Yerba Buena Island Master Plan, San Francisco, California, with Hart Howerton Architects and Planners, 2017-2024. Under construction.
- Avalon Apartments and Redevelopment Master Plan at the Emeryville Public Market, Emeryville, California, with Hart Howerton Architects and Planners, 2013-2019. Under construction.
- The Gramercy at Metropolitan Park, Arlington, Virginia, with Robert A.M. Stern Architects, 2002-3004.
- Jordan Downs Public Housing Redevelopment Master Plan, Watts, Los Angeles, California, with Solomon E.T.C., 2009-2019. Under construction