ARH 631: Architectural History Elective: Ascendancy of the Renaissance
This course will focus on the circumstances surrounding the emergence of the European Renaissance and its different regional expressions. Formal and technological developments will be explored alongside contemporaneous artistic and literary innovations.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to:
- Discuss the cultural, social, religious, political and economic context found in analyzing the period of the
- Examine critical buildings and movements within the period of the Renaissance
- Recognize the aesthetic rules used in the Renaissance and be able to analyze relationships among the different cultures
- Recognize buildings as a product of their historical context and discuss ways in which historians have understood them
- Discuss built examples and the impact of climatic, ecological, technological, socioeconomic and cultural factors.
- Analyze methods and materials used during each period and the social environment in which they developed