Multinational Design Firm Looking for Student Intern
SmithGroup is an award-winning, multinational integrated design firm with a team of 1,300 experts across 15 offices in the U.S. and China. We employ research, data, advanced technologies and design thinking to help clients solve their greatest challenges. Our specialists—from artists and engineers, to nurses, workplace strategists and beyond—develop beautiful, sustainable, future-focused solutions for healthcare providers, science and technology organizations, higher education and cultural institutions, urban environments, diverse workplaces, mixed-use and waterfront developments, and parks and open spaces.
The SmithGroup Summer Internship Program is dedicated to the advancement of young professionals in the fields of Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Engineering, and Interior Design. As an intern at SmithGroup, you will have the opportunity to work side-by-side with a wide-range of professionals.
Selected students will spend approximately 12 weeks working as an intern in San Francisco office. Students will be exposed to both the creative and business environments. Assignments will vary and include project research, site visits, computer production, design reviews, and assisting in marketing efforts. It is expected that candidates have basic hand drawing and computer software skills. Preferably, applicants have experience with AutoCAD, Revit, Adobe Creative Suite, Trimble SketchUp, Rhino, Vray, Lumion and Microsoft Office programs.
Interns will return to their studies enriched by exposure to peers and professionals, and to the extraordinary opportunities in the profession of their choice.
Working with us, some of your responsibilities may include:
- Performing specific/limited portions of architectural assignments under direct supervision
- Designing portions of projects under direct supervision
- Documenting changes to architectural drawings as instructed
- Consulting with manufacturers, research and evaluate materials
- Assisting in Construction Administration including preparing sketches and addendums, and visiting the construction site to gather information and/or preparing a punch list
- Contributing proactively to the project team
- Receiving and following directions for project assignments
- Managing own time based on directions given
An ideal candidate:
- Is pursuing a degree in Architecture or Interior Design with a minimum of 3 years of education and an emphasis in Architecture or Interior Design; preferably with the intent to obtain a master’s degree.
- Proficient in Revit, SketchUp, and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Familiarity with Adobe Design Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign) desirable.
- Clearly demonstrates strength in design.
- Is creative with an innovative spirit.
- Must be detailed oriented and able to work in a team environment.
- Must be able to meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Communicates and works professionally with all levels including co-workers, management, clients, etc.
SmithGroup’s intern program provides students with the opportunity to apply both classroom and past experience learning to real world application. Interns will participate in hands-on project work, weekly “Lunch & Learn” sessions, office activities, and mentor pairing.
The 2020 Summer Internship Program for the San Francisco office runs from May 18th through August 6th. Application deadline is February 2, 2020. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline. Interviews (in person or video) will be scheduled beginning December 2019 through February 2020. Intern selection will be completed by no later than the first week of March 2020.
Please include a resume and portfolio that demonstrates your design strength.